How to Connect With Your Tarot Deck in 3 Easy Steps

Have you ever felt like your Tarot deck just didn’t “get” you? Like it wasn’t really attuned to you at all?

It’s hard to get anything out of your Tarot readings if you feel your deck is just “off”. Your Tarot deck might not be the problem – it could be that your relationship with your deck needs a little TLC.

For the purpose of this article, I want you to think of your Tarot deck as an actual person or conscious being. I know that seems nutsy…..but bear with me! Doing this will change your whole experience of reading Tarot….

Step #1: Stop asking your Tarot deck questions! Show your appreciation instead.
You can imagine your Tarot deck is probably tired of hearing you ask the same old questions again and again. I know for a fact that if my deck were a person, it would be sighing and rolling it’s eyes at most of my questions by now.

Try this! Instead of asking your Tarot deck a question, tell it something. Hold it in your hands, get a sense of its unique energy and vibe, and tell it (silently) how much you like it, how pretty it is, how much fun you have with it – really communicate your overall appreciation for its presence in your life.

*Tip: There are other ways you can demonstrate respect for your Tarot deck, like wrapping it in silk before putting it away, placing a crystal on top of it and thanking it after a reading. Call me crazy, but sometimes I like to give my deck a kiss before putting away!

Step #2: Get to know your Tarot deck.
Make a date with your Tarot deck and take the time to ask it some juicy questions about itself. For each question, draw a card to answer it and record your impressions in your Tarot journal. Here are some possible questions you might ask:

the world tarot card meaning

I got this card when I asked my Crystal Visions Tarot deck what our relationship would be like…

• What kind of a Tarot deck are you? What card sums up your personality?
  • What issues/areas of life do you specialize in?
  • How can you best help me?
  • What quality is most important in a Tarot reader?
  • How do you see our relationship?

Each and every Tarot deck has a unique personality and asking these questions will let you know if you mesh well with this particular deck. This will certainly give you a clear idea if your deck has a cheeky sense of humor or not!

Step #3: Spend quality time with your Tarot deck

Your Tarot cards will closely attune to your energy when you spend quality time with them, making for better readings. Some Tarot readers suggest sleeping with them under your pillow (I haven’t tried this one yet – I am afraid I will ruin my cards!).

You can also meditate while you hold your deck in your hands, practice regularly with them and take time contemplating each card. If these things aren’t always possible, simply placing your deck on your coffee table or bedside table will do the trick.

And one of the best ways to spend “quality time” is to journal with your cards. You can create your own Tarot journal or you can check out the one that I made :)

I would love to hear what you do to connect with your deck (in the comments section below).

Enjoy This Article? Sign up for updates...its FREE!

My monthly newsletter is full of Tarot tips and insider secrets to intuition & psychic development...and so much more. Stay in the loop!

85 Responses to How to Connect With Your Tarot Deck in 3 Easy Steps

1. Julian says:

Hi Kate, I’m using the Steampunk Tarot by Barbara Moore, and illustrated by Aly Fell. I asked my deck these questions and I got, in order, 10 of Pentacles, 2 of Wands, 3 of Wands, Death, and The Tower. I’m using the book it came with, but I would like to know what you think.

2. Kyleigh says:

This is awesome! I asked my cards what type of deck they were and I got the eight of Pentacles which said it was a time of focusing all its energy to make sure everything was perfect. Thank you so much

3. Mads says:

This is such a good idea! Thanks a lot.
    I too got some really interesting answers
    1. What kind of tarot deck are you?
    The letters- happy, a contract or invitation, informing of news or events that will shortly arrive.
    2. What areas of life do you specialise in?
    The mountain- big rock solid events in life, obstacles to be surmounted relevant to important affairs!
    3. How can you best help me?
    The book- the unknown give knowledge on any situation all aspects of life, research, things that have not yet happend and patience.
    4. What quality is most important in a tarot reader?
    The sun- optimism, good will, a positive outlook
    5. How do you see our relationship?
    The ring- joy in relationships! A bond or relationship that is not about love, strong bonds and happiness.
    I was using titanias fortune cards. :)

4. carol says:

I just received my deck yesterday, the Gilded Tarot. It is my first deck and I am just learning the Tarot, something I have wanted to do since I was a child. I had read your article and really liked the idea of asking my deck about it’s self. I have only spend about 2 hours with my deck so far, looking at each card and reading the booklet. I decided to shuffle my deck and ask the questions you suggested. This is my very first attempt at interpreting the card, with the help of the booklet of course!! Here are my answers:

1. What kind of deck are you, what sums up your personality? 8 of Cups, easily distracted but ready to focus… cleans up messes

2. What issues/areas of life do you specialize in? 7 of Cups, choices, opportunities, decisions, finding inspirations. Acknowledgment of distractions that lead us astray.

3. How can you best help me? 10 of Swords, starting a new cycle in my life.

4. What quality is most important in a tarot reader? Reversed 2 of Pentacles, disorganized, too many obligations, instability.

5. How do you see our relationship? 5 of Cups, sacrifice, need for support and healing.

Kate if you have time, I would absolutely love to hear your thoughts on the cards I received. I am planning to ask these questions again in about a month when I have spent more time with my cards and have a better understanding of them.
    ~Carol

Hi Carol,
      Thanks for sharing your reading here – I really enjoyed reading your interpretations, my only suggestion is that 2 of pentacles reversed could mean that an important quality in a reader is the ability to focus. Two of pentacles is about multitasking so perhaps in this instance, 2 of pentacles reversed could mean being able to just focus on one thing.
      Cheers!

5. Hala says:

Hi Kate!

Thank you so much for creating this exercise! I bought the beautiful druid craft deck last week and just took some time out now to get to know my deck. I had the most wonderful time cannot wait to start doing some readings with it. It was just what I needed to get me started. I had so much fun and can’t wait to do the same with my Crystal visions deck.

Best wishes
    Hala

6. Brie says:

This is seriously one of the most useful exercises I’ve done to further my understanding of the tarot. Rather than viewing my decks as variations on the standard RWS themes, I’m finding that each has a unique voice. One deck gave me all Cups cards when I tried these questions – it’s now my go-to deck for emotional conundrums. Another gave me Wands cards, The Moon and The High Priestess – I use that one for creative work.

But here’s the really incredible thing: these decks are now giving me AMAZING readings. Like accurate and meaningful whole-other-level readings! I feel so much more attuned to the wisdom each deck has to offer, and I’m seeing things in the images I might never have otherwise seen. It’s helped me establish a genuine, intuitive relationship with my cards.

Thanks, Kate! You’re like the tarot whisperer! :)

Brie, that is so awesome to hear!!! I am really glad this exercise helped you transform your readings – thanks for letting me know :)

7. Brandi says:

This only gives me further confirmation that my deck and I are not meant for each other. I don’t know if there’s a way to repair our relationship. I admit to being repetitive, unserious and even humorous when I read my tarot, and it seems the more I did it the more unsatisfied my deck was. It is my first deck and I admit to only have learned about it recently, mainly by the hands of a half-assed guide book.

What kind of a Tarot deck are you? What card sums up your personality?
    Nine of Sky (swords.)
    Anxious, sad, low esteem, feeling used. I feel I may have encouraged this by being sarcastic about my deck, asking her over and over the same questions as if I was not satisfied with the initial answers.

What issues/areas of life do you specialize in?
    Two of Fire (Wands.)
    Helping you understand your path. I want to encourage you to make the right decisions, and present to you possible outcomes and opportunities. (I wrote as if speaking as the deck, it just seemed right.)

How can you best help me?
    Eight of Sky (Swords.)
    I’m choosing to interpret it as my cards feeling unable to help and communicate with me effectively. My deck feels trapped and lacking in confidence.

What quality is most important in a Tarot reader?
    Four of Earth (Pentacles.)
    A conventional, traditional interpretation.

How do you see our relationship?
    Four of Sea (Cups.)
    Unsatisfied. Discontent. Bored.

I think my deck is fed up with me and wants to move on. I do feel a sort of connection with my deck and feel sad to let it go, but I do not read the cards in a most conservative, conventional manner, and that seems to be what my deck wants. I think I’m going to try and trade with someone, even though I have been advised against second-hand decks.

Hi Brandi,
      Before you trade your deck, you can try cleansing it by fanning it out on your windowsill overnight, letting the moonlight cleanse any negative energy. Or, you can try putting it in a bag with some crystals overnight. Sometimes that makes a difference – it sounds crazy but its worked for me!
      Then, if your deck is still acting like a total bitch, I would trade it :)
      Cheers,

8. Amber says:

Hi , I just got my deck a couple days ago and my spirit guides lead me to mine through my dream , and it has already tuned in with me as when I was meditating my crown and third eye chakra connected to it. I read your deck is a part of you and that it should be treated with respect and to talk to it and what not tuning in to it was a beautiful experience

9. Trina says:

What kinda deck are you?

2 of Wands

I’m a deck full of intuitive insight
    here to help you on your journey to become
    a skilled Tarot Reader.

How can you best help me?

4 of Wands

I can help you build a solid foundation on your natural
    intuitive abilities and talent for reading Tarot. I can
    get you to your desired destination point of initial success
    reading for others.

What quality is most important in a Tarot Reader?

The World

To have complete confidence in your skill
    to read for others through study and practice.

How do you see our relationship?

3 of Discs

As a team working together to help
    you develop your talent to become
    a skilled and confident reader.

10. Nick says:

So, after a nice 30 minute meditation session with my Fairy Lights Tarot cards, I decided it would be best to ask the deck some questions. I disagree with a lot of the booklet readings and do not feel that is what the cards are saying to me, so I will say my own interpretations.

What card best represents you?

KING OF PENTACLES
    I view this card as a more different perception than a king, for the king is outside, wielding a sword, with his castle in the background. From this card, I felt that this deck takes initiatives and is not like the stereotypical deck (or king, in this case). The cards are very protective, and when other people are around, unless I meditated heavily, I have always had a bit of an issue using them, so perhaps the cards are very protective of me.

What problems do you help best with?

QUEEN OF CHALICES
    I love this card. It makes me so happy upon seeing the woman in pink. Right away, I felt that this card meant love and acceptance. There were beams of lights shining on the card, and it made me think that this deck will be used to look at the bright side of anything, which is funny, as that is exactly how I try to be. In all, I feel like this deck will help with happiness in general.

What quality is most important in a reader?

SIX OF SWORDS
    This card depicts a girl-like made out of water, while these three butterfly-like fairies surround her. They look very inquisitive, like they want to get to know this water creature. I felt that this meant the reader should be inquisitive about the world and try to understand it, but also, I saw it as the elements of water and air combining. I felt that this meant to combine intelligence, emotion, wisdom, and imagination, and that is how you will make a great tarot card reader.

How will our relationship be?

THE SUN
    This is such a bright and radiant card, and I knew it was a great sign. We were meant to be together, just like the sun is meant to sustain life. What is interesting about the card is that there are two babies holding hands, and it looks as if they are in the womb. In a way, it made me feel as if the cards and I have a relationship so strong that it compares to that of twins.

This deck is beautiful. I love it so much. I’m happy it puts up with me. :P

Nick, what a wonderful reading :) I enjoyed reading your interpretations and thank you so much for posting them here! I don’t know the Fairy Lights Tarot, but now I am going to have to go check them out :)
      Happy Tarot Reading,

11. Kallista says:

Sooooo I just used these questions to touch base with my first ever tarot deck (second time using it for a reading, though, and OH MY GOODNESS this deck has a lot to say. This was probably the most intense reading I’ve ever participated in. Which is saying something. I am using a deck called “The Tarot of Trees”, since I tend to follow a very nature intensive branch of wicca and druidism.

Q: What kind of Tarot Deck are you? What card best sums up your personality?
    A: Inverted Judgement –
    Inverted Judgement serves as a reminder that in every decision that you face, you have at least some element of control. While you may not be able to control the initial events that happen to you, it is important to remember that what is within your control is how you react to these events, and what you create and build out of them. So this deck basically sees herself as being a deck that helps take control and and build off of situations that the Universe presents.

Q: What issues/areas of life do you specialize in?
    A: The Devil Inverted –
    The Devil Inverted symbolizes detachment, breaking free, and reclaiming power. Again, this deck specializes in taking control of your own life and breaking free from the things that bind you, whether it’s the people in your life or the situations happening around you.

Q: How can you help me best?
    A: Ten of Wands –
    The Ten of Wands is a signal for you to cut back, lighten your load, and let others help you, especially when you are taking on more than you can handle. So this deck can help me by taking on some of my burdens and trying to help me maintain my strength.

Q: What quality is most important in a Tarot reader?
    A: The Hermit –
    The Hermit represents someone who is always wandering, searching, and learning, as well as a time to think, reflect, and take stock but not to act or make big decisions. The Hermit can also represent the need to isolate or withdraw yourself from a situation to gain better understanding. However, it can also represent the need to return from solitude and share what you’ve learned. So in a way, The Hermit can be a wizened mentor, counselor, guide, or elder that is willing to share what she has learned. If that’s not a perfectly direct answer, I don’t know what is.

Q: How do you see our relationship?
    A: The Magician –
    The Magician symbolizes someone who is the master of her own destiny. Something needs to be accomplished, and The Magician has the tools to complete the job. In fact, The Magician is so effective it is as if she uses magic to accomplish her tasks. This card can be used to describe energetic, dedicated individuals or a person who is focused and practicing hard. This card tells you to focus your energies, and apply and assert yourself, because nothing is beyond your power and there are no boundaries or limitations that you cannot overcome. Again, if this isn’t a straightforward answer, I don’t know what is.

Q: I feel that you are a feminine deck, and the name Willow came into my mind when I looked at you after sleeping with you by my side. How do you feel about that?
    A: The World –
    The World can represent rebirth, new beginnings, and opportunities, including on an emotional and spiritual level. It is time to get out into the world and see what opportunities exist. The emphasis is on the positive completion of cycles. Completeness, accomplishment, peace of mind, fulfillment, satisfaction, success, and wholeness.

Just… wow. I love my deck.

12. Ashley says:

Hi Kate! I stumbled across your site after googling “how to understand tarot” on google yesterday. I just got my first deck & a book on spreads, but am confused about how to interpret/understand some of the answers. I’m excited to figure it all out. I have the travel version of The Rider & am waiting for a deck that really caught my eye to be delivered. Maybe I’m putting a bit of a positive spin on the answers I just got, but I’m still learning.

What kind of Tarot deck are you? Justice
    I take that to mean it’s a fair deck.

What issues/areas of life do you specialize in? Strength
    Maybe it will help me get things done. I currently have some pretty big issues & decisions to make, while I try to figure things out. I took this as it telling me that it could give me the courage to do what’s best.

How can you best help me? Ace of Cups
    It can help me be happy. Help me wade through life & find the things I need to feel content

How can I help you? Eight of wands.
    Take action, maybe. Like don’t just sit on the info I’ve been given, do something about it

What quality is most important in a Tarot reader? The Chariot
    Little hazy on this one. My booklet says triumph & vengeance. I guess maybe it’s saying it’s good to be strong & fight for what you believe in. I don’t see a deck ever telling someone to be vengeful. That’s just bad karma.

How do you see our relationship? The Magician
    Again, not too sure. I think maybe it’s saying we will be good together.

Thanks!

Hi Ashley,
      Thanks for sharing your reading here, I really enjoyed reading your interpretations! I really like your take on things.
      That’s funny your book associates The Chariot with “vengeance” – I’ve never really seen the Chariot that way, but perhaps it could also mean someone who charges forward, despite obstacles – so in a tarot reader, this might mean moving forward with a reading and focusing on success even when “negative” cards come up? Just a thought.
      Thanks again for your comment :)
      Cheers!

• rachel says:

Hi Ashley! It’s been a month since you posted this and I don’t know if you’ll see my reply or not, but just for the record I wanted to throw my opinion out there about the chariot. I’ve never seen it about vengeance that much but I guess I can see how that might apply to this specific card. From my understanding the Chariot is about taking opposites and making them work for you, if anything at least for a short while, until you accomplish your goal what ever that may be.
      In the usual traditional imagery as I’m given to understand it, there are two horses a black and a white along with a charioteer (the person driving). The driver keeps the horses on the same path which is No easy task since the horses representing opposite energies are basically designed to move in differt directions. The charioteer, the two horses, and even the chariot itself, serve a purpose in accomplishing whatever goal they are trying to achieve.
      In how it may apply to your question, and this is just speculation on my part since I can’t see your cards, I would assume it’s saying the most important quality of a tarot reader is the ability to either pull yourself together completely for a short while and use all aspects of yourself or your resources to your fullest advantage while (im assuming) reading the cards.

13. Chelli says:

Hello there,
    I have had my tarot cards for quite some time. I actually owned a few other decks but I could feel it wasn’t the right time for me to have them so I gifted them to the ones I felt connected with the decks. I was unpacking some things from my garage recently and without looking for it I came across my old radiant rider Waite deck. After clearing my deck and sleeping with it for a few days I asked her these questions. She replied:
    What kind of a Tarot deck are you? What card sums up your personality?:
    A: III Empress
    What issues/areas of life do you specialize in?
    A: SIX of Pentacles
    How can you best help me?
    A: SIX of Swords
    What quality is most important in a Tarot reader?
    A: SIX of Swords
    How do you see our relationship?
    A: Knight of cups

Hi Chelli,
      Thanks for sharing the outcome of your reading here :)
      That’s cool you got 6 of Swords twice! And three sixes!
      Good luck rediscovering your cards,
      Cheers,

• chelli says:

What is the significance go the three 6′s..lol still learning

Well, in the Tarot it is usually about being helped in some way, or it can be about offering a helping hand to helping others. Put all three 6′s together and see if you notice any similarities.

14. Adrián Perez says:

hey there kate, i’m a 17 yo boy from Venezuela (Latin America) and i love what you do. I suscribe to your Youtube channel and i been fascinated since then. my exp. with tarot became since i was little but i didn´t know till the past year about been a tarot/oracle reader. i have read tarot since last year when i buy my first tarot deck The nechronomicon tarot. since then, i have bought 3 different decks (and one of them was given to me as a gift) including the rider waite tarot, the new oracle of delphos and the marseille tarot (gift from another person). Well, here is the deal: i did the test to my tarot/ oracle cards. and this is the results:

The new Oracle of Delphos (Oracle Cards):

What kind of a Tarot deck are you? What card sums up your personality?:
    A:The determination
    What issues/areas of life do you specialize in?:
    A:The triumph
    How can you best help me?:
    A: Singular Love
    What quality is most important in a Tarot reader?:
    A: malice
    How do you see our relationship?:
    A: Melancholy

Rider-Waite Tarot:

What kind of a Tarot deck are you? What card sums up your personality?:
    A: Queen of Cups
    What issues/areas of life do you specialize in?:
    A: King Of Cups
    How can you best help me?:
    A: Ace of Wands
    What quality is most important in a Tarot reader?
    A: The Magician
    How do you see our relationship?
    A: The Empress

Nechronomicon Tarot:

What kind of a Tarot deck are you? What card sums up your personality?:
    A: Temperance
    What issues/areas of life do you specialize in?
    A: King of Pentacles
    How can you best help me?
    A: Five of Pentacles
    What quality is most important in a Tarot reader?
    A: Nine of Wands
    How do you see our relationship?
    A: The Lovers

Spanish Tarot or The Marseilles Tarot (Spanish Edition)

What kind of a Tarot deck are you? What card sums up your personality?
    A: Five of Cups
    What issues/areas of life do you specialize in?
    A: Queen of Wands
    How can you best help me?
    A: King of Swords
    What quality is most important in a Tarot reader?
    A:The Hierophant
    How do you see our relationship?
    A: Five of Swords

Thanks BTW, you give me a reason to learn more about tarot.

Pd: i consider myself as a not normal teenager, i really like to learn about anything. i also like to read a lot. i was easy for me to read the Rider waite tarot because is all about symbolism :D. anyways thanks love ya.

ADRIAN.

Hi Adrian,
      Thank you so much for your kind words and for sharing the results of your Tarot reading :)
      That’s great to hear that you are learning about tarot and oracle card reading and I am really pleased that you are finding my site/videos helpful.
      Good thing your not a “normal” teen – the normal ones never fare too well once they’re out of school ;)
      Best of luck with your Tarot studies and I hope my videos and articles continue to inspire you!!!

Hugs,

15. Zac says:

Heya Kate! I recently purchased my first deck of tarot cards. The deck that caught my eye the most was Luis Royo’s Dark Tarot deck. From the moment I saw this deck it seemed to fit my personality. I was browsing the internet and stumbled across your site; at which point I became rather intrigued about getting to know my deck. I ended up giving your exercise a try and found it to be really helpful. I’m still rather new though and feel my interpretations might not be the right ones. I know you’re probably busy but, if you have some spare time I’d love to hear what your interpretations of my deck’s answers are. It would be deeply appreciated!!! :D
    Q: What kind of a Tarot deck are you? What card sums up your personality?
    A: Knave of Chalices
    Q: What issues/areas of life do you specialize in?
    A: Knight of Chalices
    Q: How can you best help me?
    A: 3 of Chalices
    Q: What quality is most important in a Tarot reader?
    A: The Hanged Man
    Q: How do you see our relationship?
    A: Knight of Chalices
    Q: How would you feel if I started to meditate with you in my hands or on my chest close to my heart? (I asked this question because, I really enjoy meditation and figured it was something I could do with my deck on a heart to heart level as weird as that sounds lol)
    A: 2 of Chalices (When I seen the card for this it made me feel really warm and happy. I’m not sure If you’re familiar with this deck but the image it presented made my heart really melt. I even started to feel tears of joy and I’m not one to shed tears often. Along with a strong feeling where my third eye rests).

I do apologize for the lengthy post =/ lol. Unfortunately, I don’t really know anyone else who is experienced in this sort of thing. I hope you’ll have time in the near to distant future to give your interpretation of the answers my deck provided. Also, thank you once again for such an interesting exercise Kate! I do feel some sort of a bond with my deck now and the answers it keeps providing me have seemed rather positive the more I ask it. You’re the best! :D
    -Zac

Hi Zac,
      Thanks for commenting :)
      I just checked out the Dark Tarot and wow! I really like it! Very sexy-gothic. I have put it on my ever growing list of Tarot decks I want to get.
      Glad you feel more of a bond with your deck after doing this exercise – you definitely want to pay attention to the strong feelings you get when reading – like feeling emotional and being aware of your third eye.
      As for interpreting your cards – I don’t do this in the comments section, if I can help it. I am going to be offering a “Tarot Interpretations” service on my site (very soon!) since I am getting overwhelmed with interpretation requests – so if that’s something you would be interested in, let me know :)
      It sounds like you probably have some strong feelings as to what your cards mean, anyway – but if some of them really confused you, check out this article: http://www.daily-tarot-girl.com/2013/05/04/when-your-tarot-reading-makes-no-fking-sense/
      Hope that helps!!!

Cheers,

• Zac says:

Ha, I’m glad you like the deck Kate! I’m also pleased you had time to respond. As for the interpretation of the cards I’ll gladly scope that link out. I kind of figured it gets overwhelming with a constant influx of requests asking for interpretations. I completely understand! A “Tarot Interpretation” service on your site would be epic!!! That would definitely be something I’m rather interested in. :D Thanks for the link by the way; any bit of help is always deeply appreciated! I’m not sure how soon you’ll have that service up and running. But, I’m sure it’ll pop up in the mailing list I presume.
        Thanks Again,
        Zac

P.S. It was an honor to have heard from you! :)

16. Jess says:

I have two decks, I bought one with a friend during High School.. It was a manga style tarot cards ( I realllly liked the art so I bought it D:) and bought another deck a few years later ( I guess maybe 2-4 years ago? ) which is the Archeon Tarot. I feel guilty for not using them though and recently took them out and occasionally talk to my deck ( I know weird of me D: ) like I’m sorry for neglecting you :( .

What type of tarot deck are you? what card sums up your personality?
    Three of cups
    What issues/areas of life do you specialize in?
    King of Cups
    How can you best help me?
    Herald of Sword
    How can I best help you? ( I liked the idea from Kelsey! so I included this as well.)
    Six of Wands
    what quality is most needed for a tarot reader?
    Nine of Swords
    How do you feel about our relationship?
    The Magician

I don’t know how to interpret this but, hopefully I will be able to in the future as I’ll start connecting them from now on.

Thanks for this idea :)

Hey Jess,
      Thanks for sharing this! I was struck by the Nine of Swords being the card that represents what is most needed in a reader. I thought hmmmm….what on earth could that mean?! Then it came to me that 9 of Swords has to do with worry (and one’s thoughts spinning out of control) and as a Tarot reader, people will often consult you when they are worried about something and you may also consult your cards when you are worried. Therefore, understanding “worry” and how the mind behaves when it gets into this mode is something that will help you as a reader.

Good luck getting to know your cards and I’m sure they won’t hold a grudge with you for neglecting them ;)

17. Lily says:

I enjoys this exercise! I asked my Housewives Tarot and this is what I got;
    - What kind of a Tarot deck are you? What card sums up your personality?
    - Ten of Cups
    - What issues/areas of life do you specialize in?
    - Two of Wands
    - How can you best help me?
    - Judgment
    - What quality is most important in a Tarot reader?
    - nine of wands
    - How do you see our relationship?
    - Page of swords

18. Amanda T. says:

What kind of a Tarot deck are you? What card sums up your personality? THE STAR
    What issues/areas of life do you specialize in? KNIGHT OF GHOSTS (cups)
    How can you best help me? JUSTICE
    What quality is most important in a Tarot reader? PAGE OF GHOSTS (cups)
    How do you see our relationship? QUEEN OF PUMPKINS (pentacles)

my deck is the halloween deck. it’s a very positive deck, seems to favor the cup cards an awful lot. lol

Looks like you got some awesome cards here, Amanda! I love the Halloween deck – I don’t have it myself, but I have had readings with it and its such a cute deck.

19. Elodie says:

Hi Kate !

I’m a complete newbie in tarot and as I want to know my deck (which is The Wild Unknown Tarot -a pure wonder !-), I just tried the questions :
    - What kind of a Tarot deck are you? What card sums up your personality?
    - The Chariot.
    - What issues/areas of life do you specialize in?
    - IX of Swords.
    - How can you best help me?
    - Daughter of Swords. (In this tarot, the court cards are a family : father, mother, son and daughter.)
    - How can I best help you ? (Like Kelsey, I found it rude not to ask !)
    - The Lovers.
    - What quality is most important in a Tarot reader?
    - III of Pentacles.
    - How do you see our relationship?
    - VIII of Pentacles.

I’m not sure to completely understand -oh wait, no : I’m sure I don’t understand anything with these answers but I had a great time ! ;-)
    I wrote the whole down in my journal and I’ll try to give an interpretation tomorrow.

Thank you for this great idea !
    And greetings from France, btw !

Welcome, Elodie! Thanks for sharing your reading here :) I know sometimes the cards we get don’t make much sense, but once you sleep on it and journal about it, I am sure it will all come together!
      Cheers,

20. Kayla says:

I found this page very helpful! I was looking for ways to get to know my new tarot deck, since I got it earlier this month, and wasn’t finding anything very good until I found this page very very late last night lol. So I asked my deck the questions and got these answers. :)

Q1 – What card sums up your personality?
    A1 – Knight of cups

Q2 – What card do you think suits my personality?
    A2 – Five of cups

Q3 – How do you see our relationship?
    A3 – Death and Four of swords

Q4 – What kind of deck are you?
    A4 – The Hierophant

Q5 – What areas of life do you specialize in?
    A5 – Two of cups

Q6 – How best can I help you?
    A6 – Queen of wands

Q8 – What quality is most important in a tarot reader?
    A8 – Nine of pentacles

My deck is the Anne Stokes Gothic Tarot, and (from what I got as answers) my deck is a bit girly, with a slightly sassy attitude. :D

21. Sarah says:

I tried this with my Deviant Moon Tarot deck and got one hell of a pretty intense and exciting reading:

What card sums up your personality? The Magician: Apparently this deck is quite powerful and well rounded

What area of life is your specialty? The World: Sounds to me like this deck specializes in guidance relating to bringing one into harmony with the universe and fulfilling your life path.

What quality is most important in a tarot reader? The Queen of Swords: I thought this was interesting. I’ve heard that The Queen of Swords represents tarot readers quite often. I believe here it means being able to see things clearly, cut through the crap and get to the heart of the matter so to speak, being discerning.

How do you see our relationship? The Star: I was so excited when this card showed up in this position. Through working together we will manifest enlightenment, hope, understanding and guidance for those who need it.

I think I will have to do this exercise with all of my decks now. Thanks Kate so much for this post, it was a great deal of fun. :)

Thank you Sarah for sharing your reading here! I love your interpretations and I would be quite pleased if I got the star as well. Have fun getting to know all your decks this way :)

22. Jade says:

Hi Kate!
    I love your website and your tips and videos. My mother used to do Tarot and stopped a very long time ago, and in the past two months, I’ve been looking for a deck to choose me, not for me to choose. The other day I was in one of the Spiritual shops around my area and a deck immediately caught my eye. I have never seen it before, and it was the only set like it in the shop. When I touched it, I felt an immense amount of heat and got dizzy briefly, and I had a sense of urgency to leave with it right away. I interpreted this as a deck finally choosing me and I’m very excited. Last night, I started playing around with the cards, feeling the edges, and letting the deck rest around my crown chakra (for some reason I just felt like it wanted to be there). Since I’ve bought it, I’ve been falling in love with the pictures, art, and general look of the cards, but I’m finding it hard to connect the pictures with the meanings provided in the small white book. Will this be something that comes? Or is my deck starting to reject me? I’ve read online it’s a deck more fit for expert readers, but I’ve always been a crash-course kind of person and it makes sense I felt chosen by a picky, expert deck. I just want to make sure I am doing all I can to make my cards happy as they help me embrace and grow even more in my spiritual side. The deck is the “Ramses, Tarot of Eternity” deck. I love it and was drawn to it, but a lot of people online don’t seem to like it. I feel like that’s another connection between us. Any advice?

Hi Jade!
      I hadn’t heard of your deck before so I just looked at it online and I think it looks lovely – I love love love the Egyptian theme! I can see why you feel a connection to these cards. I would recommend setting the book aside for a few weeks and just interpreting the images on your own. I wrote a blog post on how to do this: http://www.daily-tarot-girl.com/2013/05/04/when-your-tarot-reading-makes-no-fking-sense/
      Just because the book meanings don’t make sense doesn’t mean your deck is rejecting you – it just means you aren’t meant to rely on the book – go with your intuition, creativity and explore what the images on the cards mean to you on a personal level.
      Hope this helps!
      Hugs,

23. Jessica says:

Kate, I find your website very interesting. I have been using tarot cards for many years now. I started at the age of 10. I have had the same deck and I believe we are fond of each other but I do like your ideas of treating the deck. I will definitely try that. I am currently trying to find ways to dig deeper into myself and possibly find some more inner abilities that I may have and not yet found. I feel like there is something more to me, so I look forward to reading through your blogs more. I do have a question for you about tarot decks though. My older sister who introduced me to tarot passed away four years ago and I made sure to obtain her deck of cards at this time. I will not use them, but I was curious to know if there was anything special that I should do with them? Ive just been holding on to them. I am very interested to hear your take on this matter. Thank You for your expertise. This is all very enlightening. Jessica=)

24. Steph says:

So I slept with my deck and I did the exercise and these were the responses, I’m also a relatively new reader, who has yet to figure out the meanings of the cards

What kind of deck are you- the fool ( my feeling is it’s a new beginning, carefree and adventurous,wants to take those on a journey or a quest to self exploration & finding the answers, I also felt like a companion on the road to self discovery.)

What issues/areas of life do you specialize in?
    How can you best help me? This one I got 3 of swords, which initially confused me so I did it again and got the 3 of swords again, then I pulled a second card and got the 8 of cups… I’m guessing… It specializes in heartbreak, loss, & betrayal? Along with the 8 of cups, dealing with disappointments in love, and learning to let go?

What quality is most important in a Tarot reader? The 4 of swords jumped out, immediately I got meditative, that rests and really ponders and contemplates the cards, I also pulled out the queen of wands, but I put it back bc I didn’t get any impression except creative and following my passion/ heart.

How do you see our relationship? This one was the one that I don’t understand at all, and scared me a little, I got the 9 of swords…. Could it mean that I’m fearful or that it dismal? Does my deck not like me?
    Well I asked it and the Justice card jumped out…. Could you perhaps give me Insight into the last one? The 9 of swords worries me…

25. Austin says:

Dear Kate,

When I was in high school I learned from a very good friend how to read my cards and connect emotionally too them. (I found sleeping with them in a case I hand made for them very emotionally binding) However, I stopped using them for a time when I was going through a huge life change. Now that I want to pick back up my interest in the art I find I just don’t connect with them like I did before. This goes past the emotional connection because I still feel the love and bond with them. I want to get a new deck that represents me and who I am now but, I feel like I would be betraying an old friend. Do you have any recommendations on how I should go about this transition? I want my old deck to know my love but be ok with using a new one. Can I transfer the essence of my old deck to the new one?

Hi Austin,
      Good question! I think you should definitely get a deck that reflects where you are right now. Once you get your new deck, you could always do the same things that helped you connect to your old deck. After you work with your new deck for a while, you will start to feel more connected with it. You can retire your old deck and bring it out later on – you may find you feel more of a connection with it later on. Or, if you feel comfortable with it, you can always gift your old deck to a friend so you know that it can be enjoyed and not languishing in your drawer!
      Good luck :)

26. Jolene says:

Hello Kate,

First of all, I am so glad I found your site! Your posts are really helpful and insightful. I’ve been meaning to learn about Tarots more, and your site has been providing me the beginners knowledge that I need. I hope that in time I can master Tarot.

I have a question: I bought a beginner’s set a couple of years ago, it includes a deck and a book that teaches you about tarot and the cards. However, I don’t find the deck visually pleasing at all. I lost interest in the deck because of its graphics.

Is that bad? Should I find another deck which I feel I could like more?

Thanks in advance :)

Hi Jolene!
      I am delighted you are learning stuff from my site :) Thank you for letting me know how helpful its been to you.
      If you don’t like the Tarot deck you have, give it away and get a new one that you do like! There is no point trying to learn Tarot on a deck that just doesn’t do it for you. Some decks that are good for beginners are Robin Wood Tarot, Universal Waite Tarot, Morgan-Greer Tarot, Crystal Visions Tarot – once you find a deck you connect with, I can guarantee your Tarot skills will improve dramatically.
      Good luck!!!

27. Kelsey says:

so I tried asking my tarot deck questions… and idk what to do, I wan gifted them today so I thought it would be nice to get to know each other.

What type of tarot deck are you? what card sums up your personality?
    -Four of pentacles

What issues/areas of life do you specialize in?
    -queen of pentacles

How can you best help me?
    -seven of pentacles

(I thought it rude not to ask) How can I best help you?
    -two of cups

what quality is most needed for a tarot reader?
    -King of wands

How do you feel about our relationship?
    -four of cups

Can you help me understand the answers, please. I use the deck mystic faerie… I think I annoyed my deck asking so may questions, and meditating with it for an hour before hand….

Hi Kelsey,
      I am delighted that you tried this exercise with your new deck! – but no, I cannot help you with the answers. That part is for you to do! Spend some time meditating on them and journalling about them. And I can guarantee your deck is not annoyed with you for asking it too many questions :)

Cheers,

28. Claire says:

Hi Kate
    I have just discovered your website and videos and just love all the wonderful information and enthusiasm for tarot that’s generated! Thank you! I had stopped using my Cosmic tarot years ago, as I’d got spooked by it all at one time and locked them away. I now feel I didn’t really know enough about it at the time.
    Somehow though, after nearly 10 years, they seem to ‘Call’ to me and when I did go hunting for them and touched them again, it was weird, like finding an old friend and the energy was amazing! Anyway, what I was wanting to ask is this, as I’ve now bought a couple of other decks as I too love the beautiful illustrations on tarot cards.
    Is it possible to connect with several decks all at the same time or is it better to do it one by one as you learn how each one speaks to you? :)

Hi Claire!
      I am thrilled that you are enjoying my website :)
      Yes, you can connect with several different decks at once – you don’t have to work with just one deck exclusively. Many readers will actually read with multiple decks simultaneously, which I don’t usually do, but you can. If you are doing the exercises in this article and are fairly new to Tarot, I would recommend getting to know one deck at a time – work with it exclusively for a little bit (like a week) and really get a sense of it, then you can switch to a different deck and try the same.
      I have the Cosmic Tarot as well – I love it but I have to admit the images can be pretty harsh and disturbing, so i can understand where your coming from!
      Happy Tarot Reading :)

29. Art K says:

Thank you for your simple and playful approach to Tarot. For the beginner, that’s me, it is inspirational.

30. Just B says:

Getting to know my Tarot Deck :-)

Me: So, Tarot. What kind of deck are you? What really sums up your personality?
    Deck: The Magician – need I say more?
    Me: (rolling on the floor, laughing!!!)

Me: What issues/areas of life do you specialize in?
    Deck: Queen of Wands – girl talk
    Me: (had to laugh again)

Me: How can you best help me?
    Deck: The Fool – time to take that leap of faith into new beginnings!
    Me: (some song about a magic carpet ride in my head….from the 60′s or 70′s?)

Me: What quality is most important in a Tarot Reader?
    Deck: Wheel of Fortune – be centered without distraction, ride the winds of change…
    Me: (singing, “why don’t you come with me little girl….on a magic carpet ride….”)

Me: How do you see our relationship?
    Deck: Three of Swords – I got a bone to pick with the skeletons in your closet. You REALLY need a new “wardrobe”.
    Me: I think I found my new best friend! Love ya Deck! :-)

I’m kinda new at this whole Tarot thing, but I feel like the cards are REALLY responding well :-)

Any feedback on my interpretations? Anything helps :-)

I love that your having so much fun with this! Isn’t it weird how, when you ask your deck these questions, you get a real sense of it’s personality/sense of humor? We are so used to asking the cards about ourselves and this exercise is totally different. I love your interpretations :)

31. Jamie Morris says:

Kate!

How did I miss this fabulous post? Any way, I love your ideas and those of your readers. Also, although, evidently, this post is almost a year old, it’s absolutely perfect for me today!

I’ve been feeling a little off in my whole tarot practice–feeling like I’m not reading accurately, am a bit off in my connection with my decks, not understanding the subtle and not-so-subtle differences in different artists’ interpretations, etc.

So, late (late!) last night, I gathered my decks (only have about 25, not hundreds, like some collectors), and with the cats’ (only two of those) help, and asked myself which of my decks do I feel are most “reliable.” A couple came to mind, so I picked one (DruidCraft) and asked what is going on with my tarot life?!?

I got the Princess of Wands, which, in this deck, always lets me know I’m trying new stuff, but probably forcing it a little, and have stepped too far out of my comfort zone. With that in mind, I realized I wanted to read (at least for a while) only from decks that support me, not from decks that challenge me too much.

From there, it was easy to identify nine decks that I feel really solid and safe with–even a couple of more edgy ones, like The Phantasmagoric Theater–and just ONE that I want to study more (Tarot of the Sidhe).

I put the rest of the collection away in the “tarot attic” for the time being, and now have just nine decks to love and (re-)connect with, using some of your techniques.

(Wow. Lots of words in this response.)
    Hugs (and thanks),
    jme(who has just used her limit of parentheses for the day!)

Thanks for your comment, Jamie – its a good thing I re-posted this on facebook – I have so much content on here, its easy to miss something. Let me know how you find working through this with your decks – I find that it really helps me understand the character of each of my decks. I am really curious now which 9 decks you chose. I really enjoy your enthusiasm for Tarot – it totally inspires me :)

32. Deborah says:

Thanks for such informative tips. I already use a few, but the others sound like a fresh, New approach I’m wanting to try. Kate, do you have the “Messenger Oracle” by Ravynne Phelan? This is a deck that I bought, looked at, and thought, it’s fine. Boy, was I wrong. I connected with it so quickly, or I should say, it connected with me! It is extremely accurate and is a favorite now. I wondered if you have it, or if anyone else does and has had a similar experience. Thanks again for all of your knowledge here!

Hi Deborah,
      Good to hear you enjoyed these tips :)
      I don’t have the Messenger Oracle, but its been sitting in my Amazon shopping cart for a while now – it really looks like a fabulous deck. I can see myself getting it soon!

33. Scott Lagos says:

Still getting aquainted with the Morgan Greer,It has that 70s theme that I like about it.Asking the deck questions and meditating on it sounds like great ideas.I will give it a try.I wished I would have known about this beforehand.Thank you so much for the info Kate.

~Scott Lagos. :)

Your are very welcome Scott! When I started doing this with my Tarot decks, I noticed that my experience with each deck totally changed for the better – so have fun with it!

34. Marcie says:

I bought a copy of the Druid Craft Tarot, and tried working with it for a bit, but for some reason, I could not connect to it. I re-introduced myself to it and I got some interesting cards. It’s personality is the 3 of Pentacles:the Spirit is creative and hard at work mastering its craft (so to speak :-D) It sees our relationship as: The Hermit, I see it as my guide and showing me the way to go within and truly begin to understand myself. What areas are its specialization? 4 of Pentacles, helping me to create stability in the material plane and caution me about holding onto resources and having a “poverty mindset”. Finally, the most interesting response it gave me was to the question of “what quality is the most important in a tarot reader?” it gave me the 10 of Swords! I believe it is telling me that there is always hope even in the darkest of situations, and we can choose to react to hurtful things in a positive and hopeful manner. Interesting Spirit indeed!

Marcie, I love your interpretations of these cards, especially the Ten of Swords. It will be interesting to see if your relationship with this deck changes after doing this reading with it.
      Cheers,

35. Emily says:

I was given my first deck yesterday by a friend. It’s the Faery Wicca Tarot. The impression I get from it is: Unfamiliar friends. I’ve just begun the research to get to know how to use tarot, and how to use this deck. It is not a beginner’s deck, and I’m at the very start of this adventure. I found an old crystal (my younger brother got it when he was little and he gave to me, after “growing out of it”) and I’m going to see how that works. I was drawn to this deck, though it does not feel like it is totally “me.” But that has yet to be seen. We just met! haha

That’s wonderful, Emily. I hope you have fun getting to know your new deck – I don’t know that particular deck, so I will have to look it up, it sounds like my kind of deck :) I have lots of decks that aren’t really “me”, but I still enjoy reading with them from time to time – its like having tea with a friend who you can’t totally relate to, but its a fun time anyhow.

36. Erica R.S. says:

These are very very helpful tips and suggestions!!! I’m young, probably the youngest poster on here seeing as i’m only sixteen, but i found after separating my deck (The Faeries’ Oracles by Brian Fround and Jessica Macbeth) into different categories of what i thought they should be in (whether it be color, the type of face, whether there’s loads of objects or only one being on the card) i felt not only grounded, but connected with my deck. Then after simply just shuffling the deck and just sitting with it for a few minutes, i found myself over whelmed with emotions that i just didn’t understand. Why should i feel the urge to cry like that? XD It was a very great experience though.

• kate says:

Erica, that’s good to hear that your into tarot/oracle cards. I don’t know many young people that are into this stuff, so that is so refreshing! Thanks for sharing your emotional experience with your cards – it sounds like you really made a powerful connection to your deck :) I don’t have that deck, but I do have Brian Froud’s other fairy deck – the Heart of the Faerie – just got it the other day and it has a very unique vibe to it.

37. kaia says:

Wow! Thank You. Got such a great response from a deck i just bought today (Morgan – Greer). The personality of my deck is Page of Swords. Sharp, eager intellectual and driven. Its area is Nine of Rods. The qualities the deck looks for in me is Two of Cups and our relationship is the Star. One of my favorite cards!!!
    Thanks again <3

38. Taige says:

Hi, Kate!

I asked my deck the above questions! I was happy to learn more about my deck and it’s unique personality. Unfortunately, some answers confused me – I got the two of pentacles for areas of specialization. I am a beginner, so I attempted to interpret it as best as I could, then drew the ten of pentacles for clarification (still not as clear cut as I had wanted it to be). May you please help me to decipher this?
    All in all, I had a great time getting to know my deck. Are there anymore questions I should ask to learn more? I love to hear!
    Thank you so much for the suggestions!! :)

- Taige

• kate says:

Hi Taige,

The Two of Pentacles is all about balancing two things and the Ten of Pentacles often indicates successful business and finances – so I would say that deck may be particularly helpful regarding questions around business and juggling work with family or leisure time. Since both cards were pentacles, and pentacles has to do with money, health, and home – I would say that your deck specializes in those areas.

Hope that helps!

39. Sage1966 says:

AWESOME! I just tried all of your suggestions with the Vampire Tarot by Nathalie Hertz that I have in my possession for at least 10 years and have never used because it intimidated me! OHMYGOD!!!! I LOVE THIS DECK NOW!!!! I understand what it’s trying to say to me and my querent, and boy do I have a different perspective on things!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

One thing that I have added on my own when meditating on the deck is that I become the individual in the card and I listen to what I hear/say/feel around me. This really puts a different spin on things and I have gotten to know my cards even more.

• kate says:

I love that idea – entering the card! I have tried that before and have gotten incredible insights. I actually forget to do it, so thanks for the reminder, I think I will start trying that technique again. I’m so happy my tips helped you connect to your deck!!!! Thats awesome that you were able to get a better understanding of an old deck you’ve had a while.

40. Thank for the wonderful tips Kate! I haven’t tried the juicy questions with my Tarot deck, I will give it a try! Sleeping with decks is my favorite thing by the way, I don’t put my deck under my pillow directly, I place it beside my pillow together with my teddybear (yes, I’m 25 and I still sleep with my teddy!) alongside with my Selenite heart. I meditate and visualize an energetic connection with my deck (of course visualizing the energy coming from the universe and then circulating between us to nourish us both and strengthen our bond) to let us communicate easily during sleeptime, and I talk a bit ’till I fall asleep. This is a bond enhancer in my opinion, since our higher self is much more active and free while our mind is asleep, this brings more clarity and attunement to our relationship. :)

• kate says:

These are wonderful ideas, Deniz! I love how you visualize an energetic connection with your deck – I am going to try that tonight – I had never considered my higher self communicating with my deck during sleep – but it makes total sense. This makes me want to start sleeping by my deck again!

41. Trina Dela-Curva says:

use a natural container box to hole the cards, like a nicely lined rosewood box and then you can place it under your pillows on the bed. It does not have to be directly under your head. you can place crystals and or sage inside with the
    cards

42. mary says:

Hi Kate l love the suggestion you make about asking the deck questions, it´s the first time l head this, but going to try, thank you xx

43. EG says:

Thanks you again, I think I will try “the pillow thing”, or at least to have them beside me while sleeping! :-)

44. Hi Kate,
    These are fantastic ideas! I had honestly never thought about asking my decks questions about themselves before. I am definitely going to give that a try :)
    Thank you!