When the SAME Tarot card keeps showing up….this is what it means…

Have you ever noticed how sometimes the SAME Tarot card will just keep showing up in your readings? Perhaps this card even appears when doing a Tarot reading for someone else.

What does this mean?!

I have noticed that with nearly every Tarot or Oracle deck I have, there is a particular card unique to that deck that I will pull repeatedly. For example, with my Magical Mermaids and Dolphins oracle card deck, I almost always get the “Ready, Set, Go!” card. It was happening so frequently that I actually looked the card over to see if there were any sticky bits or something that was causing me to choose it again and again. But there was nothing.

four of swords

Four of Swords from the Robin Wood Tarot

There was a time a couple years ago when I kept getting the Four of Swords Tarot card in my readings. To me, the Four of Swords is about meditation, rest and going within. It didn’t make sense to me at the time since I felt I had a perfect balance between action and rest. And yet the Four of Swords kept coming up. Even today, I am not really sure why that card kept coming up for me.

So what does it mean when you keep getting the same card in all your readings?

I feel that repeat appearances (lets call them encore cards) are your spirit guides, higher self, angels or The Universe trying to get a message to you. If you keep getting the same card it means you haven’t properly heard or understood the message.

Here is my 3 step process for de-coding the meaning of these encore cards:

Step One: Be open to the card meaning something slightly different from its traditional meaning. Really pay attention to the symbols in the card, what these symbols mean to you and how the card makes you feel.

Step Two: If the card suggests a particular action (for example, the Four of Swords suggests meditation), try taking that action and see what happens.

Step Three: If you still keep seeing this card after taking action, close your eyes and ask your guides or higher self what message they are trying to send you via this card. Be open to any guidance, impressions or feelings you receive.

However, sometimes encore cards are not an urgent message but a reminder that your spirit guides are always with you. This is especially true if you keep getting a positive card (like The Star or The Sun) when you are going through a rough time.

When I read with my Angel Therapy oracle deck, I always, without fail, pull the card that says “you are profoundly clairvoyant”. I think this is kind of funny because I don’t always see myself as profoundly clairvoyant – perhaps moderately, but not profoundly! I have decided this is just my spirit guides confirming that I am on the right path and to keep working on my psychic abilities, even when I doubt myself.

So what card, or cards, keep coming up for you lately? And what is your theory on repeat cards?
I would love to hear all about it in the comments below!

Click here to order an interpretation of your Tarot Reading

Enjoy This Article? Sign up for updates...its FREE!

My monthly newsletter is full of Tarot tips and insider secrets to intuition & psychic development...and so much more. Stay in the loop!

This entry was posted in April 2013, Saturday Posts and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

112 Responses to When the SAME Tarot card keeps showing up….this is what it means…

1. Loretta says:

Hi Kate
    I got my set of tarot cards from a friend.
    I kept on drawing Death ( more than 4 times). Eerily…yesterday my cat took my pouch of tarot & the card Death was opened).

Do you think there is a significant meaning? Today I drew Nine of Pentacles & followed by a set of The Moon/Death.

Thank u.

2. Mariamne says:

For a very long time now (at least six months) I have been pulling the Two of Cups in regards to the man I’m currently dating. It’s even come up in a reading I did for him once, that was his card. And even creepier, it’s usually in the 2nd position, the present. I’m almost used to it at this point.

I use the Morgan Greet Tarot and every time I get this card I feel such a peace emanating from it, like the people on the card are completely in tune with each other and there is no other desire but the other for them. Almost like a soul mate card. I usually try not to read too much into it because I’m so afraid of dissapointment and sorrow, but this card seems to follow me with this relationship. I’m wondering if it’s telling me something. I’m very happy with the guy, btw. We seem to just ‘get’ each other on some deep level. Any other insight I might be missing out on?

3. Nadia says:

Hi. I just had a reading done today by someone and the tower came up as the final card. I am a bit concerned as my partner did his cards in two different ways and also drew the tower both times as the final card. He has been unwell and i am scared this could mean something bad

4. Ryan Griffiths says:

For the past 3 days on my daily reading I have pulled out the magician card.
    I’ve a strong feeling there’s a message or a point to this that I am completely missing.
    Can anyone here offer explanation to this card as it’s quite a significant card to keep reappearing

5. Rebecca says:

Hi Kate

Thank you for the informative piece.
    I seem to pulling the judgement card for almost every relationship reading for myself, it also falls in the same position in every reading (3 card reading – last card). I know the traditional meaning is making a decision, but I am not able to make sense of what the card is possibly telling me.

6. Felicia says:

This was really helpful. Lately I’ve been doing online tarot readings and keep getting the same wheel of fortune card. I’m hoping that it has something to do with the current situation I’m in and it always turns out positive for me. Gotta keep being patient and going forward I guess πŸ™‚

7. E. says:

I keep getting The Wheel of Fortune…I am hoping my luck will change soon!

8. Jackie says:

I have lost my period, and I just asked three different “yes or no” applications if I will ever be able to get pregnant, and I pulled the Devil card each time. I’m scared 1. that it has to be correct because THREE times from three different applications? And 2. The devil is scary. What do you think about this? I really want to have children one day. I’m suffering from lyme disease and all kinds of health issues. I’m scared that I pulled this same card three times. What do you think about this?

• Hi Jackie – your timing with this is perfect because I just finished writing an article on The Devil and how he keeps showing up for me in readings (this article will appear in someone else’s e-book on Tarot, which I will share once it’s available). Basically, my take on The Devil is that he shows up multiple times in readings when you are giving away your power to something – this could be a person, idea or belief, a job, etc. The Devil IS scary in that he forces you to confront all the ways in which you’ve been giving your power away, but he is not scary in a predictive way. His appearance does not foretell disaster, in my opinion. Sit down and make a list of all the things that suck your energy. Then make a list of some of your beliefs around power – what do you think of it, how do you get it, what makes you feel powerful and powerless, etc. In doing this I am sure you will suddenly get triggered by something or have an idea or insight – follow that and see where it takes you. Good luck with this, self exploration through Tarot is a fascinating process!

9. Mallyn says:

Lately all that’s been showing up in my readings is the Nine of Swords. I’m a bit concerned at this point and I think it might have something to do with the fact that I’m an extremely anxious person already and I have a tendency to ‘destroy’ things without even trying, just by pure factor of my anxious tendencies. I’ll have to do some more research into this.

10. Jen says:

I keep getting the Magician and the Star. Over and over. Not complaining, though! πŸ˜€

11. keary says:

What does the queen and king of pentacles mean together with the 4 of wands and 5 of cups? pulled these cards asking about looking for a summer job and looking for one.

12. jasmine says:

Hi. i have been pulling the card ”Serephina” in my doreen virtue angel cards,
    at the moment i am also pregnant and am hoping for a girl as it would be a change as such, i do my cards daily to see what spirit wants me to know and nearly each day i recieve this card.

13. Jen Go says:

I keep getting the Queen of Pentacles reversed. I am still new to tarot, so I pull a card a day to try and learn. The last two days I’ve pulled this same card. I’m dealing with a break up, and keep doubting my decision, so I think thats why I have been pulling it.

The first tarot deck I bought I pulled the Justice card three times in a row when I first started using it. I always thought that was interesting

14. sophie says:

Hi Kate

I m still learning to pull a card a day to just learn them. In the last week, I have pulled the 2 of cups every single time where I got the 4 of swords. I ve tried meditating on the card, sleeping with it under my pillow….
    I ve had a bit of a traumatic time in last few months and certainly can’t forget the guy, been told he ll be back and seen it when I did a reading for myself the once. Also believe it deep down but where I was impatient, I m now so laid back and actually can’t see how. Only thing I get is ‘union’. Any ideas? Thank you for the post by the way!

15. kate says:

i keep getting the knight of cups lately. i am not super experienced with tarot, i just dabble, but in my case, i think the knight of cups represents some sort of inner creative/romantic drive for me. i could be wrong, but i feel a sense of safety or belonging when he comes up…

16. Samaria says:

Hi, I did a reading last night to communicate with my spirit guide and I got the knight of pentacles as his personality and then in another space in the spread the empress appeared in the space is what can I do to recognize or honor his presence. I’m confused to what I can do. Please help!

17. Ally says:

Hi kate,
    I keep getting the 10 of swords card. I get it no matter what reading. Sometimes I just pick a random card to see where I am in my life. I always pick this one card. I have no idea what it’s telling me.

18. Lauren says:

Hi fellow Tarot – ers!

Three separate times today, Card 15 – The Horned One: Cernunnos, has jumped out of my Arthurian deck and landed face up, staring me in the face. No one else was in the room with me during any of these instances. It was only my cards & I… I’m VERY new with the cards and still learning the meanings of them all, so any suggestions/advice are welcome! I’ve always been drawn to Tarot, ever since my youth… I am a 35 y.o. mother to three young children, happily married for 14 yrs, and I was recently accepted into an amazing program at a major university (one I never imagined getting accepted into), for special education – What I’ve felt since elementary school was my calling, in this world… Special needs kiddos seem to flock to me as much as I flock to them. It’s as if some invisible, magnetic force draws us together, regardless of the setting. Life is hectic, organized chaos, but despite this, I feel like I’m finally on the right path… New beginnings, so to speak. For a plethora of irrational reasons (I was the rebellious teenager), I chose to do other, less demanding things with my life, than going to college immediately after graduating high school. Deep down, I always still felt that “magnetic force” I mentioned above. Always knew within myself that I belonged in a classroom full of special needs/disabled children. What did I do, then (1998)? I ignored the constant nagging at my heart strings. In 2002, our first child was born. We had a VERY traumatic delivery which resulted in mild cerebral palsy, as well as many other disabilities. At the time, of course, the last thing I ever thought was that our son was given to us in order to make me “see the light”, so to speak… From 4 days old, he was in physical & occupational therapy 2 times per week, each. Speech therapy came a bit later. Long story short, I would come home every day from therapy with our son and sobb, telling my hubby how stupid I was for deciding to be a flight attendant instead of going to college to get my degree in special education. I would choke down sobs at the rehab facility, because I wanted to be doing what the therapists were all doing – helping special needs children. He promised me that once all the surgeries, etc. slowed down, that I could go get my degree, aND I went back to school, 5 yrs ago. I am currently, just starting grad school. Isn’t it funny how life will ALWAYS find a way to come full circle? I needed that motivation during each emotionally draining therapy session, and even the events during delivery of our oldest son, to inspire/encourage me to get on the right track. The path I’very known I was supposed to follow since my youth. All that being said (I HAD to give the details in order for everyone to fully understand where I’m coming from), and you know exactly where I stand in regard to my past life decisions & how far I’ve come, I have no idea what the repeated jumping of the Cernunnos card could be implying, for me? There is an obvious message there, but I am not familiar enough, yet, with the cards, to grasp a firm foundation on the implications… That’s where all of you come into play! πŸ™‚
    All thoughts, impressions, interpretations, etc. are greatly appreciated!!

19. christena says:

Every time I ask someone pn or offline for a tarot reading I get the devil card. I’m try to understand what this message can mean. Is it positive, negative, or both perhaps?

20. Bobbi says:

I don’t know if this is still going on, but every tarot reading I get has strength, the lion. tell me what that means please?

21. Rhoda L Williams says:

Hi I keep getting the sun and three of cups. The last time it happened was December 2014 and I got married unexpectedly.

22. Aly says:

I am CONSTANTLY pulling the Tower card. It falls out, will appear at the top of the deck, at the bottom, anywhere I split it… Just everywhere. I am a little freaked out, considering its meaning. I guess I need to sit down and think on it, but I’d love to hear what anyone else might have to say about it. I only skimmed the above conversations because Im in a bit of a hurry, but I will definitely check to see if anyone has had the same situation crop up. Thanks for any responses, folks! Also, does anyone have any suggestions or know of an online tarot forum where you can post readings and get feedback from others? I’d love to get second opinions on mine since Im still learning.

Hi Aly,
      You might want to check out the Aeclectic Tarot Forum: http://www.tarotforum.net/ – I have found it to be really helpful πŸ™‚
      I remember a time a few years ago when I was always getting the Tower – to this day I am not really sure why, since it wasn’t a particularly tumultuous time or anything. So if your life is going along pretty smoothly I would suggest it may have to do with inner changes that your experiencing in regards to your perception of reality and not necessarily outer changes in your life circumstances.
      But spend some time meditating on this card and see what comes up!

Good luck πŸ™‚

• Lori says:

Your leaving your troubles and past behind to turn a new leaf of something bigger and better

23. Emily says:

Hi I keep pulling 10 of swords in future! Me and my husband are in a rough patch so I’m thinking is something else going to happen or does it mean I’m at rock bottom its only get better pulled 6 of cups reversed with it and page of swords reversed

24. Dre says:

hi I am new to tarot and I’m still learning how to read the cards. When learning I could almost always guess what they meant before reading up on it…with the exception of the swords most of those confused me or what I thought was the meaning was totally opposite…anyways for some reason I keep drawing the three of swords whenever I ask this specific question.. I waited about a week before asking the cards the same question and the three times I asked it I pulled the three of swords and it’s always the third card in the spread… What does this mean

25. Tara Ramey says:

I have been getting Death and King Of Swords for about two weeks now, and they are always the last two cards. The even stranger thing is, is death is drawn as part of my three or four card reading, then whenever I ask for more information with the energy surrounding the Death card, I get the King of Swords!! Every time! It’s crazy. I have an idea, but I really want to know what it is my guides are trying to me.
    Love your site, I’ve been watching and reading your videos and page for over two years now. I wanted to also thank you for all your insight. You are one of the Tarot card readers that I learned from. πŸ™‚
    Have a good night…and if you could give me a little insight it would be deeply appreciated.

26. Hayley says:

I keep pulling Endurance, #43 from my Oracle of the Mermaids deck. I’ve pulled it so often that I have the card and the traditional meanings memorized exactly. I could draw it with my eyes closed

It appears when I’m reading for someone close to me, it falls out of the deck while shuffling and, on one occasion, the deck fell off of my dresser and the only card fave up was that one.

What are they trying to tell me.

27. Marlene says:

King of Cups or Healing Card from Osho Zen Tarot Cards has come up 3 days in row for me. I am currently going through a lot pain and beginning a long overdue dental overhaul in my mouth!

28. jes says:

Hi, I have the angel therapy cards. 3 card readings and almost every time the indigo card is the first pulled and twin flame moves from the middle to end. Help! I am new at this, my daughter is clarvoient and I’m teaching myself to help her.

29. Mel says:

For me, I ask about romance and always seem to get Pentacles. 8 of Pentacles, Ace of Pentacles, 9 of Pentacles and Page of Pentacles. I feel as if I’m being told “NO love for you!” Or “stop thinking on love right now and focus on your business.” Or even “you won’t meet the guy until you work hard and become successful at your business.” If this is true, I’m sure my Spirit Guides have my best interest at heart, but it’s kinda like blah… I want to find the right guy so much.

Mel, that IS frustrating! Try rephrasing your questions. Instead ask something like, “what do I need to do to meet the right guy?” or “how can I attract love into my life?” And pentacles isn’t necessarily anti-love – it’s the earthiest suit and it isn’t a bad thing if it comes up when asking about romance.
      Good luck with your readings πŸ™‚

30. Dreamer says:

The Knight of Wands shows up even if I use a different deck of cards. What message is the Universe trying to tell me? Thank you πŸ™‚

31. Joanna Jasmine says:

Hi everytime i use my magiacl messages from the fairies cards I always pull out the Pregnancy card, it doesnt matter what i ask or am thinking about i awlays pull that card out. Can you give me an idea of what this means? Thank you πŸ™‚

Hi Joanna,
      I have no idea what this means for you – only YOU know that! But if literal pregnancy is not on your mind, then think about what pregnancy represents for you. For example, creativity, birthing something, nurturing a creation/idea – there are many possibilities here πŸ™‚
      Good luck!

32. Tasha Coover says:

I keep pulling swords and cups and then high priestess or temperance card every time I ask about this particular guy in my life Kevin. I would like to have a deeper explaination of why the cards keep coming out like this…HELp PLEASE

33. Jessie says:

Hey Kate!
    The Devil card keeps showing up in my deck, not when I’m doing readings though but when I’m just shuffling or asking my deck how it’s doing. I’m new to Tarot so it’s kind of freaking me out but I’m thinking maybe its because I’ve been hanging on to an Ex boyfriend of mine, but I’m not really sure.

Thanks so much for all the help!

34. Laila says:

The moon, the 5 of cups, 3 of cups. I have gotten these 3 cards twice in a row. First for a general reading on my Facebook page, and then again when my sister came over and asked for a reading the very next day. I drew them via pendulum. I felt really strange as I saw these three cards again… I told myself, I didn’t shuffle well enough, but I drew with the pendulum so it wouldn’t have even mattered…I think I have an idea what it might mean, but what’s your take? Any opinions?

35. Beau says:

Great article! I get the King of Swords a lot as my daily card, I think maybe as a reminder to keep cool headed and rational at work or that I already possess those qualities and I will need to use those throughout the day! I can’t wait to try tip 3 to see if I am missing a message though! Thanks Kate!

36. noy says:

Thank that’s I found you on this web since the Sun card always re-occurring to me over and over no matter what deck has been used. It surprises me no end. Then now I know this must be my guide card. Best wishes,

37. Andrew says:

As a bit of background – I gave my cards cards away (Gypsy Romany) to a friend 8 years ago. Last year I spent mostly in and out of hospital, lost my job, almost everything I owned and my relationship finished. Despite this I remained positive things would get better. So this year has been a year of re-building. I have a job in a new town and starting to put things back together. My friend recently moved to a hospice and sent the cards back to me so I have started reading them again. I get 2 cards constantly, the 5 of cups and the king of cups. And I do mean constantly! after dozens of readings. The 5, I have taken as a message to stay focused and not dwell too much on the past and be thankful with what I have achieved, not what is lost. The King used to only really come up when I was asking about relationships, but now comes up in almost every reading. I do simple 3 card readings so it really is quite puzzling that they should be that regular. I have checked the cards and they aren’t sticky or other wise defaced so do you have any thoughts you could share? many thanks

Hi Andrew,
      My thought is that there is a message for you in these 2 cards and that is why they keep coming up. I am guessing that once you get the message they won’t keep appearing. I don’t know what they could mean for you – what happens when you do the 3 steps in this article?

38. Josie Jo says:

Thank you for this wonderful article!

I keep getting an encore card, which obviously led me here! On Saturday night I pulled The Sun card. The following day (Sunday) my nephew was born. Yesterday (Monday) I pulled The Tower, The Devil, and Death, all in a row. Obviously I’m going through some major transformations in my life.

But tonight, (Tuesday) I did a single card pull. The Sun came up. I decided to do another single pull, and AGAIN The Sun came up.

I think my guides are telling me that they’re with me during this transformation and transition period in my life. Unless they’re telling me I’m going to get pregnant! Haha!

What do you think? πŸ™‚

Hi Josie Jo,
      Wow – The Tower, Devil and Death all in a row? That is one intense reading! Yes, I think you are correct in your interpretation of why the Sun keeps coming up for you. I don’t think the Sun typically represents pregnancy – I think of The Empress, 10 of cups, Ace of Wands when I think of pregnancy cards.
      Best of luck going through this time of transformation and I’m so glad you found my site πŸ™‚

39. Nikki says:

Hi when i do my readings seven times in the last two months I get the Serephina card why is this?

40. Brianna says:

I just found out my job was ending: I have been doing Tarot readings for myself every night since I am distressed!
    I keep getting The Magician card in each reading!

What does this mean? I need some serious magic now to get me a new job ….
    Your thoughts??

Brianna, it’s there to show you that you have the power to create a new job (or at least find a new job) – you aren’t a victim here at all (that is what the Magician is saying). Good luck – and I don’t think you need to be as distressed as you are πŸ™‚

41. Danielle says:

Greetings Kate,

When I do a tarot reading regarding a crush I have on someone. The tarot card that keep reappearing is the Ace of Cups.

Your thoughts, please.

42. Stacey says:

Hey Kate,

I’ve been searching for some time about what happens when you get a constantly reoccurring card. I’ve had three different readings done in the past two months and each was about letting go and moving on and deciding what I want in life and manifesting it but in every reading I’ve had the “soulmate” card from the Mirmaid and Dolphin deck comes up. I just can’t figure out the significance. I even did my own reading and it appeared so I asked the cards and the “treasure chest” card appeared. I’m fairly new to doing readings and not I am sure what to take from it. Any suggestions ??

43. Joanna says:

When I do reading fur myself there is always somewhere ‘world’ card. Would you mind to explain that?

44. Lisa Marie says:

I also have the Angel Tarot cards & from the first time I bought them & blessed them, “2 of water” fell out of the deck. I had gone through a brutal betrayal with a karmic relationship & he is constantly coming to me in dreams. Right after I got the cards & pulled “2 of Water” he & I ended up working together on a project for 2 1/2 months. I kept pulling the “2 of water” every single time I asked what our purpose is. I am
    So torn between needing to move on but each time we are pulled back together. Suggestions??

45. Mary says:

Hello !

I have a “Message From Your Angels” card deck. Nearly every time I lay out a spread Chantell (The romance Angel ) is always the first card in the first position. Last night when shuffling it literally jumped out from the middle of the deck. I am puzzled as I have no love interest, nor believe there is any future of having that kind of relationship due to my life circumstances. My face is deformed (and you know how people react to that) due to a cancerous tumor which required surgery, thereby creating a situation where people are uncomfortable in being around me, except to stare at the side of my face, otherwise I am shunned by the general public. So you can see why I am puzzled as to why Chantell keeps appearing. I do love myself, which is how I get through the days because I never feel lonely having so many Divine entities who are always there, so self love is no issue. I would appreciate any clarification you can offer. Thank you!

46. Tal says:

Hi Kate! Thanks so much for your articles and tips; they really help! I’m just starting out with tarot but I’ve been getting the King of Pentacles almost every other reading. I’ve been getting it when I’ve been doing my family too. I understand what it means with the question and situation but do you think there’s something I’m missing or I should take in consideration whenever this card comes up? Now that I’m think about it I’ve been getting mostly Pentacles… my guess is that means something too, huh?
    Thanks so much for all the help!

Hi Tal – if lots of pentacles are showing up for you, this could signify a need to be more grounded, stable and “earthy” in your approach. What does the King of Pentacles mean to you personally? Are these qualities you have? or lack? or want? I am guessing, this card shows up to encourage you to channel your inner King of Pentacles – just a guess!

47. Amy says:

Hi Kate, thanks for your article. I always get the Sun, 7 of penticles, the Queen.
    I truly believe in card readings. Lately my life is going in a different directions and I have been to few different readers and the cards come out the same. Also where my life is heading.

48. DDee says:

I’ve been told by a couple of different tarot readers that I am a natural medium/clairvoyant. I’m trying to understand what to do with that info, have always been interested in tarot cards so am teaching myself [and looking for a class to go to].

I have been doing a few basic spreads/queries for myself and yesterday have drawn Ace of Cups on 5 separate occasions!! Today I found this site and your 3-step decoder which I will try shortly. But just thought I’d share and ask if you have any words of wisdom for a newbie

Great site by the way πŸ™‚

DDee, that is so exciting that you are just getting into Tarot! And I am delighted you have found my site πŸ™‚ I do have some advice for a beginner – you can find it right here: http://www.daily-tarot-girl.com/2014/02/24/tarot-beginner-start/
      That’s wonderful you got the Ace of Cups 5 times – the Ace of Cups is all about new beginnings – specifically starting something that will prove to be emotionally fulfilling for you.
      Good luck!

49. Logan says:

Hi Kate, I’ve gotten both The Magician and The Emperor the last three personal readings I’ve done, and the first two times they were in exactly the same position. The last two times I’ve also gotten The Moon. My immediate reactions was that it’s a sign to believe in myself and follow through with my actions. Overall, I’m getting a pretty good vibe from it.

50. Malakite says:

Hey Kate! I found your site while searching for answers about the card I have pulled 4 days in a row. The Knight of Pentacles keeps coming to me. Once with the Queen of Cups and once the day after I pulled The Hierophant. If you or anyone could help me shed light on this….I will be So Super appreciative!! Light & Love to you all!!

51. Lorisa says:

The King of Swords appears in roughly 80% of my readings, always as a future or hindering card. I was doing a dream interpretation reading this morning and when I asked what this apartment that is in a lot of my recurring dreams represented the King of Swords appeared. It made sense to me because that apartment has always reminded me of my ex-husband who was in the service, I didn’t question it. As I was gathering my cards to put them away, on a whim I asked the cards to show me one card, one to represent what will happen when I go visit my hometown this Thursday. Sure enough, the King of Swords was drawn. I know for a fact that I won’t see him, he lives off the mainland but could this mean there’s someone else who fits that description in my future?

52. Kiara says:

Hey there. I am an Archer and I live up to the name.
    I have been noticing for a couple months now I am always getting the death card for my outcome/last card in my tarot reading. I know it doesn’t mean physical death and I am transforming…open to change. But is the message that I am not changing or am I consistently transforming?
    I am starting to question it now. What do you suppose? thanks.

Hi Kiara,
      Did you do the 3 steps suggested in this article? Try step #3 and see what happens. I can’t answer this question for you, because only YOU know this answer to it!
      Good luck πŸ™‚

53. Tosha says:

Hi Kate, I have been reading cards for years now.. I’ve had the same deck since I was 18, I’m now 31.. There are 2 cards In the deck that always seem to represent me, the queen of wand ( I’m a Leo) not to mention I have a black cat that stays by my side… Which is on the card lol and the queen of cups… How can 2 cans be me, the queen of cups doesn’t alway represent me, but 90% of the time it does! And also, my card have gotten to be almost scary right!! A friend of mine told me I need to retire my cards an get new ones?! All my reading I have done over the years have been right, I have a bond with my cards like no other… Should I buy a new deck, or continue using mine!?

Hi Tosha!
      thanks for commenting πŸ™‚ I think it’s absolutely possible to embody the character traits of two cards – no one is one-dimensional!
      Why are you thinking of getting new cards? It sounds like the deck you have is working for you really well πŸ™‚

54. Jessica says:

Hey, I just wanted to drop a quick reply here. I just recently started to use my deck (I got it in the mail today). I’ve been shuffling for long periods of time while meditating on a question. About 85% of the time the question was about me, my day, or my life in general, the six of wands appeared. I even was doing one focused on a totally different person and a card fell out. Curious, I looked at it and it indeed was the six of wands, even though I had shuffled for about a minute.

Any ideas about what this particular card could mean as an encore card? Thanks πŸ™‚

55. Marvin says:

I recently purchased a deck of oracle cards and decided to shuffle and select a care while having dinner with my partner. I randomly selected the card of “appreciation”. I shuffled and passed the cards to my partner for his turn. He shuffled the cards and pulled the same exact card out of 52 cards. Is this by chance or is there something more to this? We recently broke up w/ one another and I’m wondering if this is a message from spirit.

Thanks for the insight.

Hi Marvin,
      I don’t think this is mere coincidence!
      Your idea that it was a message from spirit is probably correct (especially if the breakup had to do with appreciation issues).

Warm Regards,

56. Erin says:

Well, last night while Doing spreads with my cards, the lovers fell out of my deck… Ok great… Then I asked my deck “show me one card relating to the guy” and what did I choose – the lovers…. Then I laughed and said ok let’s put this into a reading… And did a love spread and what came up… The lovers… Then when I was done for the night I said “ok one more time, what card is important right now?” and chose a random card and it was……. The freaking lovers. So I rested the cards all night and watched your video in how to choose cards 6 different ways … And what did I just get twice in a row …. The freaking lovers! This is interesting because I am seeing a new guy causally (not sure if I’m that into it) and I have another guy who is far away on my mind (who, if I’m being honest, is who I asked the question with intention about) so I guess love is a very pertinent theme for me at the moment, which it never has been before, and my god my guides want me to know it! The people on the card even look like me and a dark haired guy (ha they both are!)

I also took the suggestion above and reshuffled it into the deck and found it and looked at the cards flanking it – 5 of pentacles and the king of cups … Very interesting and positive I think … Now if I could just figure out which guy… Haha

Erin, that is crazy!!!! does the King of Cups seem more like one of the guys than the other? That could be your clue, I think…

• Erin says:

Well, the king of cups seems to me to be an older, more mature and established man? That would be the far away one, the local guy is young and less established. Does that make sense?

57. jenny says:

For almost a year the King of Swords keeps reappearing for me. My theory is that since I read my cards at my office, before my work starts for the day, it is an omen of the type of clients I usually see. I’m empathic and feel that the cards are getting my clients’ energy. I could be totally wrong. When I’m at home and do a reading this card rarely appears.

Jenny, that is really interesting, but it makes total sense that that would happen. Different locations have different energies, so it makes sense that it could effect what cards come up. thanks for sharing that πŸ™‚

58. Gem chick says:

For over a year, weather using deck, on line app or my msn daily delivered email,
    I have had hangman show up in my spread in some position….
    99% of the time….
    I have lost 3 people in past yr all to cancer, and my husband is fighting colon cancer- outcome uncertain… Next pet scan is in 10 days~
    I get that I’m ” stuck” and cannot help…could this be a msg..that I need to let go???
    I know I cannot control outcome ….feeling like ” I don’t wanna see that card anymore:(”
    My mom, and sister both passed last yr from B. cancer, and a dear friend cancer also:( all in 5 months:( then husband was diagnosed 8 weeks later:(
    Do not wanna see this card anymore.
    Gem chick

Gosh, I am so sorry that you have had to deal with all this in such a short period of time. My heart goes out to you. The Hanged Man is often symbolizing the need to surrender, but it’s also about looking at things from a totally different perspective. I know how frustrating it is when you keep getting a crappy card like The Hanged Man – if it really gets you down, try taking it out of your deck for a month or so – and see if another card replaces it as the repeat card.
      Best of luck with everything – sending you light and love πŸ™‚

59. Lisa says:

I just started using Tarot cards and have been noticing repeating cards. More specifically, from Messages from your animal spirit guides I have pulled the zebra every day, and twice today. So, 5 times this card has come up for me. It says “let go of your fear and know that you are safe and protected at all times”

I have asked other card readers for their interpretation and one felt it was relationship based. Another thought it had to do with my bf and my personal feeling was that I was protected by spirit and the universe.

So, what’s the best way to clarify it’s meaning?

Hi Lisa,
      Go with your personal feeling about the card. If you are unclear as to what area of your life it refers to specifically, you can ask yourself: what area of my life I feel the most fear?
      Have you tried Step 3? close your eyes and ask your guides or higher self what message they are trying to send you via this card.
      Good luck, Lisa πŸ™‚

60. Keeley says:

I just done a readin on myself picked one card got the 2 of pentacles reversed then done a reading for a mate he shuffeld and chose 2 of pentacles what does this mean y we chose the same card from same pack

61. Teresa says:

The Hanged Man and 4 of swords no matter what deck and multiple type of spreads lately along with Diana in the Goddess Oracle deck. Diana has shown up 3 of last 4 days despite thourough shuffling on my daily card draw. I think if I go to another deck, she would figure out how to jump in that deck somehow and show up. LOL I get it. I need to let go, let God, see things from another perspective, meditate more (which will help with focus and answers), rest and recuperate (healing to do), and have some focus as I experience a general lack of direction right now. This has a lot to do with health, but not everything.

62. Aina says:

Hi Kate, I finally got the answer to my question. It was about be pulling out the same card again and again – the 8 of swords. It used to drop while shuffling, it used to be my card of the day for like one week. I started thinking that there’s something wrong with cards. The worst part was – I didn’t know which keyword is it sending to be. It has many. After I read this post, I decided to meditate, I just visualized the card and asked: “What do you want to show me?” And slept. The next day I was checking out some tarot software that I installed and there were two decks in it: RWS and Osho-Zen. I stared at the Osho-Zen deck and couldn’t stop – it was SO beautiful. Then I saw the 8 of swords and it was written “guilt” on it. I felt somewhere deep that it was the keyword the 8 of swords was trying to show me. It felt right at some level and it struck me, cause that’s my main life’s pattern – the guilt about everything, even learning the tarot, lol.

Aina, I am so glad you were able to get some resolution around this card. I LOVE the Osho deck – it is an amazing deck and totally changed how I look at the Tarot. Hopefully, now that you understand the meaning of this card, you won’t feel so guilty! πŸ™‚

63. Yuuki says:

Hey Kate.

This is actually quite relevant as I has very recently has this occurance. For the past three readings I have done for myself openly about my current state of affairs, the Tend of Swords has been encoring itself quite a bit. When I first saw it, it was in place of a very positive reading, with it being the only negative card. After this first reading I went to ask my deck what it meant or what I was supposed to do about it, and low and behold the Ten of Swords is the card that I picked out of the deck…

Now after a week has passed I have been trying to figure out what it’s saying, so I go for another reading, and it appears again, yet again in a highly positive reading.

I admit I am very new to Tarot reading so perhaps my interpretation is off, but It’s really been something that has been bugging me in the back of my mind.

• Jamie Morris says:

Hey, Yuki–

I suggested one way to approach a puzzling card in my response, below. Check it out and see if it’s helpful to you.

Good luck with that prickly Ten of Swords!

64. Jamie Morris says:

Hey, Kate–

Such a great topic! Thanks for sharing your experiences.

For me, encore cards tend to fall into one of two categories for me:

First, they can refer to people–me (QSwords, KnightSwords, 9Pents, or a couple of other courts, depending on my attitude)–or to someone else (if I’m in an ongoing relationship with that person or we’re in some sort of situation together.

Secondly, they can signify a situation. For instance, the repeat appearance of the 6Wands over the last several weeks would let me know that the cards were referring to the refi (which is now completed; thanks for your support!). In this case, the Six of Wands was my guide–telling me that I would triumph, ultimately, sure, but also acting as a clue to me when I was doing my daily draw whether or not a reading was about that process or about something else.

It’s simply uncanny the way the same card will show up over and over and OVER–from DIFFERENT DECKS–when I’m working through an issue that the cards want to continue to discuss.

A few months ago, I was chatting with another of your readers about what to do when you don’t know what an encore card (great phrase!) is trying to tell you. Let me add that method to the three-step method you share in this post:

I take the enore card (let’s say, Temperance, for example, since one of your readers mentioned that card) and shuffle it back into the deck. Then I flip the deck over, so I’m looking at the faces of the cards, rather than their backs, and I sift through the deck until I find my encore card (Temperance, in this example). Then I pull it, and the card on either side of it out and lay them in front of me, making them into a three-card reading with the repeater (Temperance) in the middle.

From there, I use my reading skills and intuition to make meaning of Temperance (in this case). If, for example, Temperance were now flanked by The Emperor and The Hierophant (oy!!), I’d think maybe the message is to blend (Temperance’s verb) my concerns about business or corporate entities (Emperor, perhaps, if that fit) with concerns about education +/or religion (Hierophant, if that fit).

In a way, Temperance would be an easy card to intepret with this method, b/c I’d always think, with her in the middle, I was being asked/advised to incorporate/combine the energies suggested by the cards flanking her!

I hope this is helpful. It’s something I’ve had very good results with. And, by the way, it’s an approach I learned from tarotist Janina Renee, whose books have really been wonderful, grounded guides in my tarot life.

Have a great rest of your weekend. Summer has arrived in muggy Central Florida, but I bet you’re not ready to turn on the air conditioning quite yet!

(Very Temperate) Hugs,

• kate says:

That is such a cool technique, Jamie! I have heard of it (maybe from you), but I have yet to try it out myself. Thank you for sharing it here πŸ™‚ Which Janina Renee book would you recommend the most (for those new to her work)?

• Jamie Morris says:

Hey, Kate–

Thanks for asking! Although it’s aimed for younger people, I LOVE Janina Renee’s “Tarot for a New Generation,” which might be out of print, but is still available on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Tarot-New-Generation-Janina-Renee/dp/0738701602

In it, she takes each card and talks about how it can be applied to a variety of different aspects of life: love, health, career, family, etc.

Another favorite is “Tarot: Your Everyday Guide,” out of print, for sure, but available CHEAP on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Tarot-Everyday-Practical-Problem-Solving/dp/1567185657.

“Everday Guide” approaches each card as if it were purely an advice card. So, if you’re asking what action to take with a problematic colleague at work, and you draw the Three of Pentacles, for instance, how do you translate that into advice that you can turn into a helpful action or attitude.

She’s very down-to-earth, and I find her explanations clarifying and demystifying.

I’m so glad to get to share about her work here. Thanks for the opportunity!

• Jamie Morris says:

Weirdly, I did my daily draw a couple of hours after leaving this example with Temperance and then drew her myself in a reading where she was actually telling me that I was being intemperate about something!

• sharon says:

Wow! what a great way to find an interpretation! Thank You. I have 2 decks that I work with the most and each one has a particular card that comes up. I continuously draw 9 Swords (Rider-Waite) and Guilt 8 – Clouds (Osho Zen). Here’s what I drew when I used your way:

Osho Zen
      Mind (Page Clouds) – Guilt (8 Clouds) – Fighting (Knight Clouds)
      I have a lot of Guilt – created in my Mind and I Fight with my thoughts.

VI – The Lovers – 9 Swords – 3 Pentacles
      I often have sleepless nights and grieve about my relationship
      and work. 1) Life changes as we get older and things like relationships change and all of a sudden one day you realize something’s different, And you don’t know what, or why. Not that it’s bad. But it’s uncomfortable because it’s not what you knew. 2) Jobs are different. There used to be loyalty with employers, you could go for a job and be put to work the same day, not anymore. It’s mostly the almighty dollar – bottom line. Quantity not Quality.

Times they are a changin’. I must learn to accept change if I can not change it, change it if I can, and know the difference . It is what it is. I must make the best of it.

Jamie, Thank you again for this wonderful way of understanding!

65. Sage1966 says:

Very interesting story for you. I was in the middle of a problem about 10 years ago. I shuffled my deck, pulled three cards, and the Queen of Swords came up, King of Pentacles (the man I was dating at the time), along with the 10 of swords. He was on his way over to my place to “talk with me,” and I knew there was an ending involved for me because of another woman. I refused to believe this!! Not me!!! So I shuffle and pulled three more cards….and the Queen of Swords, King of Pentacles and the 10 of swords came up AGAIN!!!! So I shuffled and shuffled and shuffled till I was tired and pulled three more, and wouldn’t you know it – the same exact three cards came up AGAIN! I swear to God – I was shaking at this point. And then, the Death card came falling out of the deck – as if to say, ” DO NOT ASK ME THIS QUESTION AGAIN!!!” Well, sure enough, I got news from my boyfriend that evening that he (king of pentacles) was in love with another woman (queen of swords) and we were over (10 of swords and Death)! After that date, I NEVER AGAIN DOUBTED MY CARDS!!!!! (I have to tell you, though, I was extremely freaked out at the time that this occurred because I had only been reading maybe a year at that time and it scared me! I immediately called my teacher the next day who told me, “They were trying to give you a message, and you didn’t want to hear it! So they finally threw in the Death card for good measure!” In other words, “it’s over, girl; move on.” So I thought I would share that with you. Have a GREAT weekend! Keep up your excellent work!

• Jamie Morris says:

This is a crazy-great tarot story! Thank you so much for sharing it so I could enjoy it. That was so generous of you–especially as it may not be your happiest memory ever!

• kate says:

Sage – I have had similar experiences like that – and it is so freaky it sends chills down my body when it happens. I often find that when I don’t like the card I got (and I return it to the deck and re-shuffle and re-draw), I typically get the exact same card again! Loved your story – it shows your Tarot deck was not interested in humoring you or telling you what you wanted to hear.

66. EG says:

P.S.: And I get the “Temperance” all the time…? what does this mean? Please, heeeelp!
    Thx! πŸ™‚

67. Antonio says:

The “profoundly clairvoyant” statement provoked some thoughts… Beyond your own insights

1. What does profoundly mean? Impossible to answer…
    2. If it can’t be answered just accept you are clairvoyant…. And…
    3. It is what it is, and serves you well.
    4. If you feel the need practice more. (Although profound seems like a reached goal.)

The other point hat comes to mind is the meaning of clairvoyant.

For some it is seeing like a film is happening in front of you. For others is the images that from in the mind, as word descriptions of what one sees.

A dear friend just drew, didn’t use words.

68. EG says:

I find myself in a delicate and quite complicated situation with someone… I always got The Star… and recently the 2 of Cups… Your opinion? Cheers and thanx a lot!

• kate says:

The Star seems to signify that everything is working out okay, even if it doesn’t feel that way right now – trust is needed. Two of cups suggest that things will be sorted out for the highest good of everyone. I know its odd when the cards we get don’t necessarily match how we currently feel about the situation.

69. Christine says:

Hey Kate, thanks for the post. I used to get the “Queen of Fire” from Doreen Vortue’s Angel tarot cards. I felt like it was a message to let my fire out πŸ™‚ don’t be afraid to be yourself and someone broke up with me 3 months ago so it was a kind reminder that I’m stronger than I think πŸ™‚ also, I had a reading at a school close by and one said that one of my past lives is that I was a sorceress. A good one though who help people. They interpreted that card as saying the sorceress in me from my past lives wants to come out! Pretty cool huh?

• kate says:

Christine, I know the card you are referring to and it is so beautiful – and really does have a magical sorceress vibe to it! That’s wonderful that it keeps coming up for you – now you will just have to find a way to express your inner sorceress πŸ™‚

• Jamie Morris says:

Hey, Christine,

I was just scrolling back through recent comments on Kate’s posts and found I’d missed this one. I went right to Google Images to look for that Queen of Fire.

Wow!! What a powerful card!

I’ve been pretty much ignoring this deck, as I think of Doreen Virtue as an oracle creator, not a tarot-deck maker, but this card may have just changed my mind.

70. Hi Kate, thanks, this is such a useful way of looking at encore cards.
    Mine seem to be the Swords more often than not, the 2 or 3 of Swords and probably relates to the difficult situation concerning my daughter.
    Keep up your good work!

• kate says:

Hi Denise – ah, the swords! I remember a time when all I seemed to get was Swords cards for months. That’s good that you have an idea as to what its referring to – best of luck with your daughter situation.