New Years Tarot Spread: Mapping Out Your Year Ahead!

New Years Day is one of my favorite times to do a Tarot reading (along with Halloween and my birthday). This year, I have designed a special New Years Tarot Spread to help you get a snapshot of the year ahead as you sit down to write out your 2014 goals and envision what you want to create over the next 12 months.

New Years Tarot Spread

If you want to see this Tarot spread in action, check out my 2014 Tarot Forecast reading:

If you try out this spread, let me know how it worked for you. Specifically, what card did you get in the middle (position #5) and what does it mean for you? Tell me all about it in the reply section below…

Opt In Image
Free Audio Download!
How to Read Tarot Cards with Love, Light & Intuition
This entry was posted in December 2013, Tarot spreads and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to New Years Tarot Spread: Mapping Out Your Year Ahead!

1. Bela says:

Hi. Tks for the detailed spread understanding. My fifth card came as five of swords. I was not able to understand that.

2. Toby says:

This is a wonderful spread. I am going to do this for myself in few days. Thanks so much for posting it with such great detail.

Ps…the name of the horned god, (card no 5) is properly pronounced with a hard ‘c’, and the emphasis is on the first syllable. It sounds like ‘CARE-nan-os’ or ‘ CARE-nun-os’, not ‘sairNOOnos’.

3. Sandy says:

I’m a beginner and in the process of learning tarot cards. I want to be able to at least be knowledgable by the end of this year so I can do readings for my family members as a gift for their new year, so this was a great way for me to do their New Years reading. But how do I spread out the cards? Do they choose the cards or do I choose the cards for them.

Hi Sandy!
      How wonderful that you’re doing readings for your family – they are lucky to have a Tarot reader in their midst!
      As for laying out the cards, you can choose their cards for them or they can – whatever you feel most comfortable with. When I do readings I always get the other person to choose their own cards, mainly because I think it makes them feel like they are taking part in their reading. But some readers don’t like others to touch their cards. So it’s up to you.
      Best of luck!!!

4. oksana says:

Hello Kate, decided to do this spread…..all looks fantastic but right in the middle the 5th card i 7 of Swords!
    My first card: Ace of Wands
    2nd: 8 of Pentacles
    3d: Ace of Swords
    4th: King of Wands
    5th: 7 of Swords ….which is quite confusing….I wonder if i need to sneak out then why not, it can be positive. I dont see myself doing something very negative to others, unless others might. However, if this card is the main theme for the year then its a bit worrying? On the other hand, i have lots of strong positive cards here!
    6th: Ace of cups
    7th: Queen of sword…. yes swords seem to dominate
    8th: The Empress
    9th: The Hermit
    I would really appreciate help in interpreting this….mmmm
    Kind regards Oksana x

5. Jessica says:

Thank you for posting this spread, it was a great way to paint the picture for the coming year. I see the Wild Unknown deck. My spread is quite intense, beginning with Justice, the Ace of Wands and Death. The thematic car for the year was the 6 of wands reversed (one of three reversed cards). I’ve never really had a strong relationship with the wands before, being incredibly watery, so I was surprised to see it. I hope it’s overall positivity can be utilized, even in the reversed position. It was preceded by the 8 of disks, and followed by the 7 of cups, so a heavy dose of reality is required. Perhaps my optimism is unfounded… The spread concluded with the 4 of Swords, The a Emperor reversed, and the 7 of disks.
    I look forward to revisiting this spread as this spread as the year progresses to see what clarity might arise in the future.

Thanks again!

Hi Jessica!
      I’m so glad you had fun with this spread and thank you for sharing your reading here πŸ™‚
      It can be interesting to look back at your reading months later to see how things turned out.

6. Hi There,

What a super spread – I use the Druid craft deck, and it has given me a lot to think about – the 6th card was the 6th of pentacles. I feel like it’s telling me this is the year of giving and receiving; work well, and fairly. My guide cards were interesting too, first message the 4 of swords, final advice the 9 of wands….
    I love your site, I use your spread softer .
    Jo x

7. Vickie John says:

Did my 2015 spread this evening, quite interesting. I had 5 major arcana cards. I felt like the reading was spot on. I used the Celestial Tarot (by Kay Steventon and Brian Clark). My first ever tarot. Have you used that deck before? P/S: I loved your webinar. I also watched that this evening!

Hi Vickie!
      I had never heard of the Celestial Tarot so I just googled it – gosh, is is gorgeous! So pretty!
      Thanks for watching my webinar and congrats on getting your very first Tarot deck πŸ™‚

8. leviosa crimson says:

Wow, what a cool spread! I used it with the Vintage Wisdom Oracle and the answers were so clear, it’s still processing it all. I posted it at:

My main theme card was “Intention.” What really struck me about this card is the fact that it also turned a few days ago. This year I really want to focus and commit to working with my decks more and this card just seems to confirm that for me.

Hi Leviosa,
      I’m thrilled you enjoyed this spread! I enjoyed reading your post and seeing what cards you got πŸ™‚
      That’s a really cool deck you used, too.

9. Scott says:

Hi kate,

Nice video. What deck is the one pictured in the video? Thanks

10. Bonnie says:

Thank you I look forward to see what’s awaiting my in the year ahead 2014

11. Sharon says:

Hi, What a fantastic spread. Starting with the Queen of Pentacles and the Knight of Cups, my theme for the year being 7 of Pentacles followed by The Empress and finishing up with the Ace of Cups and the 4 of Wands. Looks like all the heartache I had last year has gone and all my efforts and hard work will finally pay off this year.

Thank you, will be using this spread again next year.

12. Greig says:

Hi Kate

So for the last three weeks I have had Justice & 3 of Swords show up in my weekly 3 card reading. The overall themes have been truth/accountability & heartbreak/loneliness. I admit that lingering on negative stuff probably contributes to the frequent reoccurance of these two cards despite regular shuffling.

It came as no surprise that they showed up again in the 2014 forecast reading. What was unusual was that the three of hearts showed up in the expressing gifts & talents position. For the last two weeks I have had ideas for song lyrics inspired by recent emotional hurt/angerl. I think exploring these ideas maybe the step needed to heal. I would’ve preferred 3 of Hearts in the departing energies position but maybe my personal growth will benefit more through composition.

Justice card appeared in the Actions position which is also significant

Thank you for a great spread. Its one I’ll certainly use again next year

• Greig says:

You know I meant 3 of Swords right ? I keep doing that. Anyhoo got The Lovers in position 5 which I truly hope comes to fruition even if it means feeling close to someone again if not a full relaltionship. Incidently Two of cups was in position 4 (departing energy) Maybe the truce & reconciliation I want so badly will begin to seem less important if a new relationship becomes likely.

13. Ken says:

Hi Kate, nice spread. My main card was the moon, which makes complete sense for me. I feel that 2014 will be a pivotal year for my spiritual awakening, as I started my new journey the end of 2013 after a lifetime of denial.

I’m a little confused by the second card though, 3 of swords. I’m not sure how to read that as a how to achieve my goals and dreams card.

Love The Moon! But the 3 of Swords is all about sudden clarity and taking off the rose colored glasses – so I am thinking this could mean that you need to truly believe your dreams are “realistic” and possible, and not just some pie in the sky kind of thing. Also, this card can indicate letting go of any emotional pain left over from a broken relationship or past betrayal.
      Good luck this year, Ken!!!

14. Cher Green says:

Wow, I should have edited before hitting post. (theme, not them), (action, not action)

15. Cher Green says:

Wonderful spread for the New Year. My main them card – Ace of Cups. It’s always nice to see an Ace in a spread. This Ace shows emotional and intuitive fulfillment, and can also indicated the start of a new project, something you are passionate about. The surrounding cards verified a new way of feeling, having more heart, action upon passions.

Thank you for introducing this wonderful spread. Have a blessed New Year.

Ace of Cups is a beautiful card to get in that position! It looks like you have a nice year ahead of you, Cher πŸ™‚
      Good luck with everything in 2014!